The sexual harassment laws are constantly evolving, and there are a number of factors and details that are considered in determining workplace harassment. It includes the response of the employer to complaints and the existing policies, procedures, and training that an employer has put in place to deal with sexual harassment in the workplace.
To deal with the sexual harassment case it is better to contact a professional attorney or a firm like www.ontario-personal-injury-lawyer.com/. Majorly the sexual harassment cases at the workplace are classified into 2 categories which are:
- Quid pro quo – It means something for something. In situations involving this type of harassment, an employee is forced or urged to choose to accept the sexual demands of a superior, or face adverse consequences like getting fired, losing pay, etc. if he or she refuses.
- Hostile environment – In this kind of harassment an employee or group of employees must prove that the following conditions were met:
- That certain person or members of a group were subjected to unwelcome harassment;
- The harassment was sexual in nature;
- The harassment affected a term, condition, or privilege of employment;
- The employer was or should have been aware of the harassment and did not take necessary remedial action.
However, it doesn’t matter that whether the sexual harassment is quid pro quo or a sexually hostile work environment, it is illegal and you should definitely hire a lawyer for sexual harassment at work. Because the conduct may affect an individual’s employment, interferes with an individual’s work performance, or creates an intimidating, hostile, or offensive work environment.
Under the Law, there are a number of protections and steps that companies are required to take to prevent and stop sexual harassment in the workplace. Companies must institute a clear sexual harassment policy.
Hop over to this site to know how companies can build better sexual harassment policies so that its employees can stay safe. So the next time if you have a meeting in your office you can suggest these methods.